Tuesday, July 03, 2012

"In Containment", part 1 of new series uploaded

In addition to filming in Iitate Village last month (see: "Nuclear Refugees") I also spent a week in Minamisoma documenting the ongoing crises there 15 months after the nuclear meltdown.  I am still editing the footage, but it looks like it will be a 5-part series, with each part between 6-8 minutes.

Part 1 (uploaded late last night) opens with people in the city of Minamisoma, Fukushima remembering the victims of the tsunami fifteen months after the March 11 disaster.  I then visit the former site of the 20 km exclusion zone where I am questioned by a police officer.  Later, citizens of Minamisoma share the personal struggles they continue to face.

It is this last section, where a group of young people get together and are talking about some of the things they are going through, that was the most disturbing for me.  Until now, I haven't really had a chance to talk with 20-somethings, particularly women, as many of them had been evacuated, and those that remained were unwilling to talk about the difficult decision they had made to continue to stay.

What I found the most shocking was what the women were thinking and doing, given the lack of information from the central government about their safety.  It is truly disturbing.


No comments: